Improving happiness and well-being of students in secondary schools
Our project will strengthen the foundation of happiness and improve the well-being of students in secondary schools. The reasoning for the project Students receives governmentally approved academic support as part of their compulsory education but insufficient supplementary services to respond to their social and emotional needs. The promotion of well-being in schools may sometimes appear to conflict with other priorities, such as academic standards. Unreasonably high expectations, a regime of constant testing, or an overemphasis on the importance of academic performance may actually undermine their welfare. Students need additional non-academic services with a focus on happiness because these have the power to positively remodel all their perceptions for well-being: intellectual, emotional, social, professional, personal as well a vision for the future.
OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
Positive impact on the awareness of teachers regarding the importance of students’ happiness. It has been proven that teachers at schools do not pay enough attention to the soft skills of the students due to different reasons, but the development of the social and emotional skills of the students brings tangible improvement of the academic results and overall well-being. The last recommendation of the European commission is wider attention on the topic from the school systems and improvements on the development of the social and emotional skills of the students as measures.
Improvement of students’ social and emotional skills such as mindfulness, self-awareness and awareness about others, empathy towards others (including those who may have different backgrounds), and trustworthiness.
Students focusing on the positive aspects of life and their ability to control how they experience it.
Tangible results of the project and their impact
- Happiness training content for students – Upon its completion students will have increased the level of their social and emotional skills.
- Convenient and user-friendly materials for the teachers
- A Booklet with good practices and Teachers’ Toolkit to support the training and the practical application of the acquired knowledge in teachers’ everyday work with students;
- A tailor-made online educational system
- Educational Resource with bite-size learning for the students along with digital tools for assessment and training materials for the teachers
- A ready-to-use book with the existing good practices in Happiness training at the EU level, so the teachers could start to use some practices instantly
- Development of an accessible
- Happiness training content for social and emotional skills focused on strengthening the foundations of happiness with established experts in the field to help students to acquire the needed skills
- Development of a Teacher training toolkit, to be able to educate students on how to find happiness and intrinsic motivation in their day-to-day activities
- Implementation of Students training in schools
- Development of innovative and accessible Online learning resource
ACTIVITIES AND IMPLEMENTATION
1. Research and gathering of good practices, available options and curricula under the topic of strategies, awareness and education about students well-being.
2. Analyzing the data collected, listing the key findings to form a consolidated report and analyze the identified gaps.
3. Based on the data collected, Developing the structure of Happiness educational content, educational goals, and topics to form the base structure for the development of the program.
4. Cultural adaptation of the educational program is an answer to different needs in every country.
5. Development of Online educational resources.
6. Development of Training toolkit.
7. LTT:20 teachers will be educated on how to use a prepared training toolkit as well to test it, get feedback and improve it.
8. Pilot students training,800 pilot students to test all available tools and give feedback.
9. Finalization of all project results.
10. Final dissemination events in each country
Competence and Skills Matrix (CSM)
Happiness training content
Online Educational Resource